Test Technology Technician
Test Technology Technician needed in Rocky Mount, NC
Salary up to $67,200/year depending on experience.
This is a Test Technology Technician in the Product Engineering Lab. The Product Engineering Lab tests diesel and natural gas engines for emissions compliance, product validation, aftertreatment integration and engine calibration development.
The responsibilities of this role are expansive and include but are not limited to maintaining and troubleshooting specialty test and facility equipment and control systems, ensuring operational compliance and quality of equipment and implementing and supporting equipment and software related improvements and upgrades.
Individuals applying for this role should have experience and/or education in any of the following areas: instrumentation and controls, facility equipment maintenance and operation (air handlers, boilers, chillers, piping distribution systems), project management, computer networking and programming (Linux).
Position and core hours will align with first shift operations for 6-12 months during initial training period. Potential re-alignment to second shift hours may occur after 6-12 months depending on business needs.
Key Responsibilities & Expectations:
* Train with skilled journey workers and/or engineers under direction of team leader.
* Diagnose malfunctioning systems, equipment and hardware using test equipment and software tools. Determine root cause and resolve issues.
* Support and lead hardware and software related improvement projects, specific to specialized and standard test systems, facility systems and computer/equipment networking.
* Implement new and modify existing facility and test cell control programming (predominately Linux).
* Evaluate and specify new equipment and hardware. Support engineering for implementation of more complex upgrades and technology improvements.
* Understand building management control system and how to integrate new equipment into the existing architecture.
* Utilize software to track, assign and prioritize reactive, planned, preventative and predictive maintenance work.
* Follow manufacturer’s recommended preventative maintenance schedules and startup procedures.
* Maintain parts and equipment inventory.
* Communicate within the team and with other supporting teams.
* Communicate technical information to suppliers to maintain, improve and resolve issues with equipment.
* Communicate technical information to customers regarding status of projects.
* Create and maintain electronic documentation as necessary.
* Attend classes/ training programs onsite and offsite, as required, to make appropriate progress in building basic skills.
* Use common problem-solving techniques while working alone or in teams.
* Participate in Health, Safety and Environmental initiatives. Maintain safe work habits and actions in all aspects of the daily task; evaluate reactive work for safety issue, plans projects so that safety is key and review preventative work for any unforeseen items that may present safety hurdles.
* Participate in improvement project work.
* Participate in housekeeping.
* Perform other duties as required.
* Work 40hr week. Available to work weekends and overtime, depending on business needs.
* First shift core hours for 6-12 months, with potential re-alignment to second shift after 6-12 months.
* Demonstrate learned skills through milestone-based skills assessments.
* Follow safety practices and procedures regarding Lockout Tagout (LOTO), Powered Industrial Vehicle (PIV), Hoist and Crane, Working from Heights and Confined Space.
* Performs work in a wide variety of conditions, such as extreme heat, cold, humidity.
* Lift up to fifty pounds unassisted.
Qualifications, Competencies, Education & Experience:
* High school diploma or certificate of completion of secondary education or equivalent experience to the extent such experience meets applicable regulations.
* Successful completion of pre-placement Skills Assessment test.
* Relevant work experience or specialized skills obtained through education, training, or on-the-job experience.
* Knowledge in the use of computers and software applications such as Excel, Word, MS Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, etc.
* Skilled in specialized tool usage such as digital multimeters, electronics soldering tools, function generators, oscilloscopes and other tools needed in troubleshooting various systems.
* Experience in facility controls and equipment, networking and programming, and project management.
* Able to read electrical, mechanical and control drawings.
* Follow standardized processes. When required, work autonomously with little-to-no direction.
* Strong work ethic with the ability to prioritize work in a dynamic environment. Strong time-management skills.
* Use critical thinking to solve engineering problems.
* Familiarity with computer networking (TCP/IP), specific communication protocols (modbus, BACnet, etc) and Linux Operating Systems.
* Able to effectively work in a team environment and communicate with a diverse population.
* Action-oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
* Communicates effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
* Manages complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
* Customer focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
* Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
* Self-development: Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
* Decision quality: Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
* Drives results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
* Data acquisition: Prepares samples, verifies equipment calibration and performs tests according to an approved standard procedure or work instruction in a manner which ensures, and results in, data that can be trusted and delivered to the engineer or customer.
* Data reporting: Prepares documentation in a manner which clearly organizes and presents testing methods, instrument settings, the data and analysis to allow the engineer and customer to understand the results and form accurate conclusions and recommendations.
* Facilities maintenance: Assesses the condition of the facility including its equipment and systems; manages facility operations and maintenance activities; develops and operates asset management systems for preventative maintenance’s that uses criticality analysis, predictive tools and prioritization.
* Facility electrical technical: Troubleshoots, repairs and installs electrical distribution systems, buss bars, breaker boxes, motors and other electrical equipment to enable the facility to operate properly with lights and electricity provided to the production activities.
* Facility heating ventilation and air conditioning technical: Troubleshoots, repairs and installs heating equipment, boilers, ventilation systems, chillers, cooling tower, air compressors and other mechanical equipment, in order to provide heating or cooling as needed to the facility, people and processes of producing products as needed.
Compensation and Benefits:
* Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
* We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. The client validates right to work using E-Verify. The client will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.